Couple, pets escape from overnight mobile home fire; no working smoke detectors inside

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CEDAR SPRINGS, Mich. -- Firefighters in Kent County are using an overnight mobile home fire as a reminder for residents to make sure they have working smoke detectors installed.

The fire happened early Tuesday morning at Cedar Springs Mobile Estates.  When crews arrived, flames were shooting from the top of the home.  They learned that the couple inside, as well as the family pets, all made it out safely.  From there, it was a matter of getting the flames under control, a relatively quick process due to their swift response.

Crews on the scene say there were no working smoke detectors inside, and fortunately for the people inside, one of them woke up.  If that had not happened, they say this would have been a very different response for the firefighters.

This was also the coldest firefighting operation of the season for these particular crews.  They had plenty of additional personnel at the scene to ensure crew members could rotate and warm up, as well as monitor the hoses to prevent water from freezing inside the lines.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.