CALHOUN COUNTY, Mich. -- Schools in Calhoun County have faced a string of threats this week, including two districts on Thursday.
Marshall Public Schools were closed Thursday after a parent called the principal after seeing disturbing posts on social media Wednesday around 8 p.m.
Marshall Police said the two teens accused of making the Marshall threats had access to more than 30 guns, which police seized from two homes.
The suspects, both 16-year-old boys attending Marshall High School, face two 20-year felonies for making terrorism threats and using the internet to do so after allegedly threatening to shoot students and staff.
“With the posting with the firearms in their hands, making actual threats to students and staff in their comments, that’s very serious," said Director of Marshall Public Safety Jim Schwartz.
"There’s no such thing as ‘we were just joking.’ When you get into that kind of talk, and those kind of actions, that’s intent," he said.
Pennfield schools were also placed on lock-down for about 30 minutes Thursday after a threat was found on social media around 1:30 p.m. A middle schooler is in custody in connection with that threat.
These threats follow ones made at Lakeview and Harper Creek schools in Calhoun County earlier this week.