Now that summer is in full swing, your schedule has probably changed a bit. Even though you're not following your daily routine, it shouldn't affect your health.
Doctor Diana Bitner, a recognized menopause specialist from Spectrum Health, says that while schedules and routines can change in the summer there are habits we should keep to stay healthy.
There are seven essential elements of daily success, or SEEDS. The SEEDS that help lead to a healtier and happy lifestyle are:
- Water- Drink at least 80 ounces per day, more if you drink alcohol or caffeine.
- Sleep- Sleeping 50 hours a week will keep your body and mind healthy and rested. That's approximately 7 hours a night.
- Vitamins- Get at least three or four servings of multivitamins and calcium from food. Don't take Vlt D if you're spending a lot of time in the sun.
- Exercise- Do something active everyday! Do aerobic fitness three or four times a week, strength training two or three times a week, and stretch every day. it's good for the body, mind, and sex drive.
- Food- Eat smart carbs, smart proteins, and smart fats. Eat minimal carbs after 3 p.m.
- Fiber- Take in 35 grams of fiber a day, and a fibercon pill at night to soak up the extra fruit to avoid loose body mass.
- Metered breathing and gratitude- Every day put some time aside to reflect and be still. Gratitude gets us out of flight or fight and lets us really see what's around us.
Dr. Bitner says SEEDS isn't just for women in menopause, but for everyone at any age. Summer vacation does not mean a vacation from self care, but a change from the daily school year routine.
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Bitner, call (616) 267-8225.