Looking for some part time work, resume-building experience, or just want some extra money for the holidays? Then you may want to know about nine major companies that are hiring thousands of workers now through Christmas Day.
The National Retail Federation expects stores to hire almost 700,000 temporary workers over the next few weeks
Money Magazine has listed those hiring the most seasonal employees for 2016:
- Amazon: 120,000 temporary workers at its fulfillment centers around the country, including hundreds at its Hebron Kentucky warehouse.
- Macy's: 80,000 seasonal workers.
- Target: 70,000 workers.
- Kohl's: 60,000 workers.
- JC Penney: 40,000 workers.
- Radial, which handles warehousing for DSW Shoes, Shoe Carnival, and GameStop, among many other stores: 20,000 workers.
- Toys R Us: 10,000 workers
And don't forget shipping services:
- UPS is hiring 95,000 workers.
- FedEx: 50,000 workers.
But is temp work worthwhile? Well, there are some downsides of being a temporary holiday worker. In most cases, temp workers don't get health benefits. And seasonal work is not glamorous: don't expect training for front line jobs. In other words, expect to do warehouse work, not driving the cool FedEx truck to someone's front door.
Despite those shortcomings, a seasonal job can lead to full time opportunities, and at the least is a resume builder.