Having trouble receiving FOX 17? Click here:

Unattended candle causes apartment fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KALAMAZOO, Mich. — An evening fire in an apartment in Kalamazoo was caused by an unattended fire Tuesday, reported the Kalamazoo Public Safety Department. Everyone made it out of the residence, and no injuries were reported.

Units were called to the home on Mills Street near Jackson Street around 6:43 p.m. Crews found the fire in the stairwell on the second floor of a home that had been split into two apartments, but they determined the fire was sparked by a candle in a bedroom.

It took about an hour to control the fire, which left the structure heavily damaged.

The spread of the fire was enabled because the person in the apartment failed to call 911 right away, said KPSD, even though smoke detectors went off and the odor of smoke was apparent. KPSD noted residents should call 911 when they can smell smoke after a smoke alarm goes off.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.