Deceased ‘Jeopardy!’ contestant wins her fourth consecutive game

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A “Jeopardy!” contestant who died before her string of taped appearances aired on the TV game show this week won her fourth consecutive game in an episode broadcast Friday night.

With the latest win, Cindy Stowell’s four-day total is $62,001 in prize money.

A science content developer from Austin, Texas, Stowell died December 5 after a long battle with cancer, according to her longtime partner, Jason Hess.

“Cindy came on “Jeopardy!” to play the game she loved, and in doing so she was able to make a contribution to cancer research in the hopes that no one else would have to go through what she did,” her brother Greg, mother Carole, and Hess said in a statement.

Stowell, 41, first appeared on an episode that aired Tuesday and was the winning contestant with $22,801. She won again on the show that aired Wednesday and took home $8,199.

On Thursday night’s show, she was far behind throughout, but she pulled out a victory in Final Jeopardy! and ended up winning $8,600.

She won Thursday night by responding to the clue, “In 2010, in its fourth season, this TV show shifted its primary setting to 6th Avenue, 2 blocks west.”

Stowell’s correct answer: “What is ‘Mad Men?'”

Stowell passed the initial online contestant test for the show early this year and moved on to the in-person audition phase in Oklahoma City.

It was prior to her audition that she divulged her illness to a “Jeopardy!” staffer and spoke passionately about why she wanted to compete on the show.

“Do you have any idea how long it typically takes between an in-person interview and the taping date?” Stowell asked in a message to “Jeopardy!” contestant producer Maggie Speak.

“I ask because I just found out that I don’t have too much longer to live. The doctor’s best guess is about six months.”

“If there is the chance that I’d be able to still tape episodes of ‘Jeopardy!’ if I were selected, I’d like to do that and donate any winnings to (…) charities involved in cancer research,” Stowell wrote.

Stowell had been concerned that even if she passed the in-person test, the show would not be able to schedule her in the short amount of time she had left.

“If it is unlikely that the turnaround time would be that quick, then I’d like to give up my try out spot to someone else,” Stowell wrote in her message to Speak.

Show staff told Stowell to attend her Oklahoma City audition as scheduled. They said that if she was selected to compete they would book her appearance as soon as possible. She was selected, and show producers kept their word, scheduling the taping of her appearance three weeks after the audition, on August 31.

When Stowell got to the “Jeopardy!” studios, she was fighting stage 4 cancer, and only a handful of staffers, including longtime host Alex Trebek, knew she was sick.

“Competing on “Jeopardy!” was a lifelong dream for Cindy, and we’re glad she was able to do so,” said Trebek in a statement.

Stowell’s opponents were unaware she was ill, according to a statement from the show.

“Jeopardy!” spokeswoman Alison Shapiro told CNN she is unaware of any other contestant dying prior to an episode airing for the first time.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.