Excessive Heat Warning Issued for West Michigan

11-year-old dead, 2 others in critical condition from carbon monoxide poisoning

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SPRINGFIELD, Mich. -- The Calhoun County Sheriff's Department is investigating after an 11-year-old girl died from carbon monoxide poisoning Thursday, leaving two others inside the home in critical condition.

Deputies say they were called for a welfare check to the 700 block of W. Michigan Avenue around 10:37 p.m. and found that the power there was turned off.

A gas powered generator was being used in the home to power a kerosene heater, police say which created an extreme amount of carbon monoxide in the building.

When officers arrived they found all three unconscious and had to force their way inside.

All three were taken to nearby hospitals for treatment, but the 11-year-old didn't survive.

The two adults, only identified as a 44-year-old man and a 41-year-old woman, are listed in critical condition.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.