Teen retailer Rue 21 closing 400 stores
CRANBERRY, Pa. (AP) — Teen clothing retailer rue21 is closing about one-third of its stores nationwide as it focuses more on its online business.
The privately held company is shuttering nearly 400 stores, leaving it more than 700 stores in 48 states.
The company is based in Cranberry, north of Pittsburgh. In a Facebook post , it called the decision to close the stores “difficult but necessary.” Like many brick-and-mortar retailers, it has been battling declining mall traffic amid strong competition online.
The company didn’t say how soon the stores will close, though its website is promoting store-closing sales.
According to the website, these West Michigan stores will CLOSE.
- Tanger Outlets in Byron Center
- Centerpointe Mall in Grand Rapids
- Riley Plaza in Holland
- Maple Hill Pavilion in Kalamazoo
According to the website, these West Michigan stores will remain OPEN.
- Rivertown Crossings in Grandville
- Green Ridge Square in Walker (Alpine Avenue)
- The Lakes Mall in Muskegon
- The Crossroads Mall in Portage
- Lakeview Square Mall in Battle Creek