Faulty furnace causes carbon monoxide leak at recovery clinic

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BATTLE CREEK, Mich. — Several people were checked into the hospital for potential carbon monoxide exposure after a leak at an addiction recovery clinic Wednesday morning.

Battle Creek city officials say a faulty furnace leaked carbon monoxide at A Forever Recovery at 163 North Ave. Firefighters were called on a report of a patient having seizures. As they entered the building, their carbon monoxide monitors went off, and by the time they entered the patient’s room, had a reading of 250-300 ppm.

After additional tests, the gas was turned off and the building was evacuated. They opened doors to ventilate the building and got the CO readings down to 30-40 ppm in about 20 minutes.

Several patients said they had headaches and other ailments. 16 people were taken to the hospital for evaluation, with carbon monoxide detected in some. The Battle Creek Enquirer  reports 10 others sought treatment later. Many were since released.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.