BELDING, Mich. - Starting Thursday, hunters can head back into the woods in a small West Michigan area to help the DNR with chronic wasting disease surveillance.
The Department of Natural Resources is allowing firearm deer hunting January 4-7 and January 11-14 on public and private land in the following townships:
- North Plains
Hunters who get a deer are required to take the deer's head to one of six checking locations. Those are:
- The Flat River State Game Area Office - 6640 Long Lake Road in Belding
- Parr's Deer Processing - 2028 W. County Farm Road in Sheridan
- Blanchard's Thriftway Deer Processing - 903 S. Main Street in Crystal
- Village Market - 10715 E. Carson City Road in Carson City
- Slater's Deer Processing - 1224 Prairie Creek Road in Ionia
- Jones Farm Market - 7965 Potters Road in Saranac
Deer hunting licenses are still valid. Baiting is not permitted. For more details, click here.