Battalion chief: Man trying to thaw pipes in Battle Creek sparks house fire


BATTLE CREEK, MI. — The Battle Creek Fire Department says a small house fire late Saturday afternoon was sparked by a man trying to thaw frozen pipes with a heating device.

Battalion Chief Martin Erskine tells FOX 17 it broke out just after 5 o’clock at 25 S. 22nd Street. That’s south of Territorial Drive, and west of 20th Street.

It’s a small, single-family house.

Erskine says the man was trying to unthaw the pipes outside the home. A woman who was inside got out quickly, but a cat and a dog were trapped inside.  He tell us firefighters rescued the pets, and no one was hurt.

He says damages were not extensive.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s