Winter Storm Watch issued for West Michigan for Sunday

Fire does extensive damage to Kalamazoo restaurant

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A typical Long John Silver's restaurant. (Long John Silver's Photo)

KALAMAZOO, Mich. — A grease fire extensively damaged a Kalamazoo restaurant Saturday morning.

The fire was first reported at about 9:30 a.m. Saturday at the Long John Silver’s at 5481 W. Main St.

Two people who were inside the restaurant escaped safely.

Firefighters from Kalamazoo, Oshtemo Township and Portage assisted in extinguishing the blaze.

Oshtemo Township fire chief Mark Barnes said the fire began in a deep fryer and spread to the ceiling and a rooftop grease pot.

The restaurant is now closed until further notice.

“Rebuilding is a decision of Long John Silver’s and their insurance provider,” Barnes told FOX 17. “I have seen these small stores rebuild from the ground up inside of a 90-day window. That is because all of the architectural work is done.

“The total rebuild of Wendy’s next door is a prime example,” he said. “Significant repairs can actually take longer.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.