Police end dig for remains of missing Michigan girls

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MACOMB, MI - MAY 09: Following the reopening of a cold murder case, crew members dig for human remains in a field and tree-line behind a subdivision on May 9, 2018 in Macomb, Michigan. The suspect in the case is already in prison for a previous offense and has not been helpful in finding the remains of other victims. Police believe there are roughly 4-6 victims they are searching for that had been chosen at random by a serial killer roughly 40 years ago. (Photo by Brittany Greeson/Getty Images)

MACOMB TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — Police looking for the remains of up to seven girls who have been missing for decades stopped digging Tuesday in suburban Detroit, suspending a multi-day effort while they decide whether to search elsewhere in Michigan or resume the excavation in roughly the same area.

Authorities repeatedly have said they’re confident they will solve the cold cases, raising the hopes of anxious family members who are desperate to learn what happened to their loved ones. The timeout could last a week, Warren Mayor James Fouts told The Associated Press.

“I’m disappointed, obviously, there was not a recovery,” said Konnie Beyma, whose sister, Kimberly King, disappeared in 1979 at age 12. “Based on information from law enforcement, I was beginning to believe we were close to resolution.”

Police tape was taken down and three heavy machines were silent Tuesday.

“They decided to stop and evaluate,” said Fouts, whose police department is leading the investigation.

The search began a week ago in Macomb County’s Macomb Township, 30 miles (50 kilometers) northeast of downtown Detroit. The site is roughly 25 acres (100,000 sq. meters) of woods and open fields, not far from a residential neighborhood. Crews have clawed at just a portion.

Fouts said police will decide whether to dig again at the same site or take the search elsewhere in Macomb County or to northern Michigan. He didn’t disclose what investigators might know about those locations.

Police were inspired to dig after talking to a prisoner, Arthur Ream, who was locked up in 2008 for slaying a 13-year-old girl. Cindy Zarzycki’s remains were found a decade ago near the same woods. Ream was interviewed after fellow prisoners said he boasted about killing four to six other people. Police said he failed a lie-detector test.

Ream has declined to speak to reporters by phone, according to the Michigan Corrections Department.

Beyma, who was at the site Monday, said she wants to find her sister’s remains and bury them at a family grave in Kentucky.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.