Having trouble receiving FOX 17? Click here:

Battle Creek house fire traced to cigarette in trash

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BATTLE CREEK, Mich. — There were no injuries in a house fire caused by a cigarette Saturday afternoon.

At 12:23 p.m. Saturday, the Battle Creek Fire Department responded to a report of a structure fire at 103 Jericho Road. Upon arriving at the scene, firefighters found flames showing on the exterior of the home.

All occupants were out prior to firefighters’ arrival.

Fire crews stretched an attack line to extinguish the fire and went interior to check for extension. Smoke was then ventilated from the residence.

The fire was contained to the exterior of the building. Damage was estimated at $2,000.

An occupant stated that he had put a cigarette in the trash can on the exterior of the building, which ignired the fire.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

1 Comment

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.