Having trouble receiving FOX 17? Click here:

Camp manager hospitalized after Cass County propane explosion

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CASS COUNTY, Mich. — One person was injured in a propane explosion at a Bible camp Sunday morning.

Cass County Sheriff Richard Behnke reported that deputies responded to a propane tank explosion at 9:20 a.m. Sunday. The blast occurred at the Bair Lake Bible Camp in Jones.

The investigation showed that Facilities Manager David Stiles, 44,  of Jones was doing a maintenance treatment of a cabin when a propane tank exploded. He was injured in the blast and was airlifted to South Bend (Ind.) Memorial Hospital by MedFlight.

Due to the explosion, the cabin caught fire and was extinguished by the Newberg Township Fire Department.

Behnke noted that care must be used when using propane tanks. Propane is very easily ignited and can cause severe injuries. If you hear or smell propane’s rotten egg smell, leave the area and contact emergency services immediately.

The incident remains under investigation by the Cass county Sheriff’s Department.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.