Family to sue Applebee’s after baby burned by steaming water

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEW YORK — A family plans to sue Applebee’s after they say their 17-month-old baby was severely burned by steaming water at a location in the New York City borough of Queens.

Cadien Scott Gaffney suffered second degree burns in the Friday incident, according to Kourtnei Patterson, a spokesperson for the family, after the family requested hot water to sterilize utensils.

When the server brought it to the table, the baby was able to pull the hot water onto himself, according to Patterson.

“The baby was just screaming,” Patterson said.

His mother tried to take the smoking clothing off of him, but skin came away, Patterson said.

“This is a family restaurant. They should have known better,” Sanford Rubenstein, the family’s attorney, said. “This shouldn’t have happened.”

A spokesperson from the Applebee’s franchisee sent sister station WPIX the following statement:

“We are truly saddened by this accident and our thoughts are with the child and family. After a thorough investigation and review of security footage and call logs, we are confident that our team members acted with urgency, calling for medical assistance while helping the family. We were unable to obtain the family’s contact information onsite but would like to assist in any way that we can as we continue to cooperate with authorities. As always, the safety of our guests is top priority.”

Leave a Reply to Dylan Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


  • Dylan

    They requested boiling hot water to sterilize utensils…the water was brought and left on the table and then the family neglected to prevent their child from spilling it on himself. It’s no different than if the family had ordered a hot cup of coffee and then allowed their child to spill it on himself.

    There was nothing defective about the hot water or its container and the employee didn’t spill it on the child. It’s just a family who neglected the debt of care owed to their child by failing to keep the hot liquid out of the child’s reach (in the same way that you keep any potentially dangerous object out of a child’s reach).

    Blaming Applebees is just an attempted cash grab by a greedy family that doesn’t want to accept rightful responsibility for their own negligence. It’s very unfortunate for the child, but the family owns this incident and I hope it gets tossed out of court.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.