Having trouble receiving FOX 17? Click here:

Ottawa Co. family escapes Thanksgiving Day house fire

SPRING LAKE, Mich. -- An Ottawa County family is safe after waking up to finding their house on fire.

It started around 3 a.m. Thursday on State Road in Spring Lake.

We're told multiple first responders responded, finding flames coming from the back of the home.

Officials say it appears the fire started inside a wood burning stove but everyone inside the home made it outside okay.

Firefighters say this fire serves as a good reminder to everyone to make sure your some alarms are working.

"At this point the wood burning stove does appear to be the cause, the home owners were alerted, in the middle of the night they woke up did smell smoke and were able to get out of the home safely," Brian Sipe, Fire Chief of Spring Lake Fire Department. "We did find there was no working smoke alarms in the house however," he said.

We're told the fire was confined to the attic space and the bathroom area.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.