Having trouble receiving FOX 17? Click here:

Attempt to thaw frozen pipes destroys family home

IONIA COUNTY, Mich. — Frigid temperatures across West Michigan are causing a number of issues with frozen pipes.

An Ionia County family has a warning after an effort to thaw their pipes destroyed their home.

Nick Lamoreaux says he took matters into his own hands and used a torpedo heater to thaw frozen pipes, but instead sparked a devastating fire.

It happened Monday afternoon on Button Road in Ionia County.

"Our pipes had froze, and I was trying to thaw them out. I was using a torpedo heater. I was not using a blow torch. I am a contractor I know better than that," said Lamoreaux.

The heater he used, which runs on kerosene, produced too much heat and sparked flames near the master bedroom of the mobile home. The fire destroyed everything inside.

"Pictures that are never going to be recoverable. Clothes, furniture, appliances. None of us walked away with anything out of it," said Lamoreaux.

Lamoreaux and his family are grateful everyone got out alive, even the family pets. He doesn't have insurance and says they lost tens of thousands of dollars.

There is a GoFundMe page if you'd like to help.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

1 Comment

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.