Officials: Man dies after fall into vat containing acid

SOUTH LYON, Mich. (AP) — Officials say a 54-year-old man has died after falling into vat containing sulfuric acid at a manufacturing facility in suburban Detroit.

The Detroit News reports Michigan Seamless Tube confirmed that the man died following the “serious industrial accident” on Saturday at its facility in South Lyon.

Police Chief Chris Sovik tells the newspaper that the man fell into a “chemical solution” and was pulled out. He was taken to a hospital with severe burns. Michigan Seamless spokesman Mark Hommel says the company is conducting a “comprehensive investigation” and is cooperating fully with authorities.

The man’s name wasn’t immediately released.

Fire Chief Robert Vogel told The Oakland Press of Pontiac that the vat of sulfuric acid had been heated to about 160 degrees (71 Celsius) as part of the manufacturing process.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.