Having trouble receiving FOX 17? Click here:

Whitmer proposes plan providing tuition assistance, scholarships

File photo

LANSING, Mich. — Gov. Gretchen Whitmer proposed a plan to provide scholarships for Michigan’s high school students during her State of the State address Tuesday night.

Her plan includes three paths for workers and students in Michigan: advanced training for adults already in the workforce, scholarship opportunities for high school graduates not going to a four-year college and tuition assistance for students at four-year colleges that aren’t for-profit.

The first part of her plan is titled Michigan Reconnect, designed after a similar plan that was launched in Tennessee last year.

Whitmer said the program will train adults seeking industry certifications or associate degrees, and help Michigan businesses find qualified candidates for job openings.

“As workplaces evolve, many people will need to acquire new skills to advance — or even just to keep the jobs they have now,” she said.

The second path in Whitmer’s plan, the Michigan Opportunity Scholarship, will guarantee two years of debt-free community college for graduating high school students who qualify. Whitmer said the scholarship will be launched in the spring and available to all students in fall of 2020.

Whitmer didn’t specify what qualifications the students will need to have.

The third path in Whitmer’s plan addresses the cost of tuition at four-year colleges in Michigan. She said Michigan had the 10th-highest average cost of tuition for public schools at almost $22,000 a year.

“It’s a complete barrier for a lot of people in our state,” she said.

Students who graduate from a Michigan high school with at least a B-average will receive two years of tuition assistance at a four-year school that isn’t for-profit.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

1 Comment

  • Jon R Chester

    My first concern in paying for the first 2 years of college is that the taxpayers have already paid for 12.5 years at near $8k per year (~$100,000). We have an opiate and health care crisis as many 30, 40, 50, 60 years old workers cannot handle the burden of sitting at a computer or standing at a workstation to pay for someone else’s education. These taxpayers need balance and diversity in their life, not more hours of work to pay for another “free” benefit to an able bodied adult. At first glance “free” education sounds like a great idea but it is not free but purchased by someone else who is suffering in some fashion or another. We are just shifting the burden. Secondly, what about the kids who went to private school or home school that did not get the $100,000 public school benefit? They should be the first to have 2 years of college paid for but they are left out

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.