High School Football Scoreboard

‘Death was imminent’: Olive Garden stuffed mushrooms severely burned woman, lawsuit claims

FORT WORTH, Texas – A woman filed a law suit against Olive Garden claiming she was burned by a piece of a stuffed mushroom that became stuck in her throat, according to KTVT.

According to court records, Danny Howard filed the case March 8 in Tarrant County District Court.

Howard said that the restaurant did not make her aware that the mushrooms were extremely hot.

The court filing says Howard went to an Olive Garden in Tarrant County back on August 11, 2017 and ordered the stuffed mushroom appetizer. In the lawsuit, she claims that there was “no admonishment or warning” that the mushrooms “were particularly hot or carried the risk to cause severe burns.”

“Upon taking a bite out of one of the stuffed mushrooms, the mushroom immediately caused [Howard’s] mouth to begin burning,” read the statement.

She allegedly began to choke and was unable to breathe. Unable to speak, Howard said she “frantically shuffled through the restaurant in need of help” ultimately vomiting at kitchen station and “in the course dislodged the burning mushroom.”

After driving home, Howard then headed to the emergency room thinking she still needed to see a doctor. “[Howard] determined that the burns and her mouth would in fact require medical care,” read the statement.

She said that her throat began to close while she was on her way to the doctor and ended up “frantically” calling 911 “believing she was about to suffocate and that death was imminent.”

According to the lawsuit, Howard was first taken to Harris Methodist Hospital then flown via Careflight to Parkland Hospital’s Burn Unit.

Howard is claiming the restaurant was negligent for not warning her about the dangers of eating the hot food. The lawsuit is asking for damages in the amount of $200,000 to $1 million.

“The stuffed mushrooms in question were defective and unsafe for their intended purposes at the time” read the statement.

KTVT has reached out to the restaurant for comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


  • Bud

    Since when does a restaurant have to tell a customer that cooked food coming out of a kitchen is hot?
    Sounds more like Howard needs to take smaller bites and learn how to chew her food before swallowing.

  • Leanna

    I was at an Olive Garden on March 7th 2019 for my moms birthday. We always order the stuffed mushrooms and we not stupid that they going to be hot. Even when we first ordered it the very first time it became an appetizer. It sounds like she shoved the whole damn thing into her mouth instead of cutting it into smaller pieces. Her throat could be closing due to her lack of knowledge that she might be allergic to fungus to. But over all she sounds stupid and purposely did it to herself to get money.

  • Elize van Tonder

    What happened to the act of chewing your food,? Its kinda forms the basis of consuming and masticating your food. How do you swallow a mushroom whole without it making contact with your lips, teeth and tongue first? Most normal people will blow on their food first, Its common sense that cooked food is hot. If you take a bite and chew your food, I can guarantee you that you will find out if it is hot or not in the first second of chewing. If it’s hot, then you spit it out into a napkin, You don’t swallow it whole and allow it to continue burning you as it travels through your digestive tract…. that’s just daft. Even toddlers are taught if you taste it, and it is hot then blow on it. It falls under common sense that cooked food is hot.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.