Fire breaks out at Muskegon Township port-a-potty business

MUSKEGON TOWNSHIP, Mich. -- Multiple fire departments are working to put out a fire that broke out inside a Muskegon Township business Wednesday morning.

It started around 12:15 a.m. Wednesday at Kerkstra Portables and Septic, 1651 S Walker Rd.

Firefighters say a semi inside the business caught fire, causing widespread damage to the building.

"Right now actually we have a few hot spots that we need to deal with that are smoldering, they`re a little tough to get at with the building collapsed," said Muskegon Township fire chief Dave Glotzbach, "We`re waiting for an excavator to come on site to help us pull the walls down and what`s left of the metal roof out of the way so that we can gain access to those smoldering areas," he said.

Firefighters say a natural gas line was fueling the fire, making it hard to put out.  The business is likely a complete loss but no one was hurt.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

1 Comment

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.