High School Football Scoreboard

Official: Video of ‘sewage’ at Bronson McDonald’s is actually grease spill

BRONSON, Mich. — A local health official said that the “sewage” captured on video by a customer at the McDonald’s on US-12  was actually a grease spill.

“It wasn’t fecal material, which a lot of people when they think of raw sewage backing up they think of fecal material,” said Paul Andriacchi, the environmental health director with the Branch-Hillsdale-St. Joseph Community Health Agency. “But anything that backs up in a drain pipe, comes up in the facility, is considered sewage.”

Andriacchi said the McDonald's should have closed to clean up the spill. However the agency didn’t know about the incident until Monday morning. Immediately they sent a sanitarium to the McDonald's and began an investigation.

“The way it was explained to us, the company had a pump company come out to clean out their a grease traps. It’s something that they do every couple of months,” Andriacchi said. “In the process of cleaning out the grease trap one of them was rather full and it spilled over.”

The spillover is what customer Steve Littley saw on Sunday when he went to the McDonald's. He said there was cardboard all over the kitchen floor, flies buzzing everywhere and a stench so powerful outside that he and his friend “didn’t want to take the next breath.”

“At that time we decided that I had lost my appetite. My buddy lost his appetite,” Littley said. “So I took the food back in and kindly asked for my money back. And the cashiers behind the counter were very polite.”

After returning his food, Littley decided to take a video of his experience, he said. He wondered why they didn’t close.

“At that point they should’ve closed down,” Andriacchi said. “Not only does that create potentially unsanitary conditions but also it creates a hazard to the employees.”

When Andriacchi spoke with the owners, he said they told him they felt the spill didn’t “meet the definition of a sewage." He assured them it did and that in the future it’s been to stop serving customers and close their doors.

“We made sure that they understood that point and they did,” he said. “They were going to pass that information along to their staff.”

The owners of the McDonald's provided this statement on the matter:

“We appreciate the health department’s support and review as we took immediate action to resolve this matter."

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


  • Gram

    They are understaffed. Extremely slow and should not have a drive-thru, as “fast food does not apply to them.” With slow order filling, the orders are still incorrect, sloppy preparation and not a clean dining area.
    The owner’s are hands off and have zero clue about the daily business end of this location. Turn over for employees is high. It’s apparant that training is not available. This could be the BEST location, IF the owner’s gave a damn and provided training, support to employees, and were a strong presence in the ommunity. I have no doubt, this will repeat or worse will happen. No one wants to work, care, clean, or to have long term commitments in their employment. I feel sorry for those employees left to clean up the owners messes. They are all generally good people working for morons.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.