Dad ’empty’ after 9-year-old Detroit girl killed by dogs

DETROIT (AP) — Police say the owner of three dogs is in custody after the animals killed a 9-year-old Detroit girl as she rode a bike.

The girl’s father, Armando Hernandez, says the man was warned that a fence was too flimsy to hold the dogs. He tells radio station WWJ that he’s “speechless” and “empty” after the attack. His efforts at CPR failed to revive her Monday.

Hernandez says he sees his daughter “every time I close my eyes.”

Police described the dogs as pit bulls or pit-bull mixes. One was shot and killed by a bystander while a medical crew tried to save the girl in an alley. The other dogs were captured.

Police say neighbors threw bricks at the dogs to try to stop the attack.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


    • Matt

      Couldn’t agree more. Kill the dogs. such a sweet breed that gets a bad wrap…….jk 90% of the owners cant take care of this breed correctly and the other 10% are in denial. Almost every dog attack story is a pit bull or pit bull mutt. Great working dogs, not a yard dog!

  • Angelia Anderson

    before anyone starts to blame the pitbulls, look at the situation first, they were in muddy small, small yard with weak fencing,in hot weather to say the least, #1 where were the parents to protect this beautiful child whos life ended in this manner.I am NOT blaming parents but she was your responsibilty, #2 why didnt any of the neighbors help the owner fix the fence so it wasn’t so weak? I will not go blaming those dogs, I blame the owner for his neglected ways, also blame humans that dont have a heart to help others when needed.

    • Sylvia

      Angela Anderson: are you out of your mind? A little girl riding her bike behind her house is not supposed need her parents to guard against vicious dogs. Yes, it is the owners fault for choosing a dog breed that was specifically bred to kill.
      And why didn’t the neighbors help strengthen the fence? Probably it was the owners responsibility to do so. Especially since he chose to have a breed of dog that kills more humans than all other dog breeds combined.
      You are trying to make excuses for the inexcusable. Dogs who are hot and muddy do not rip out children’s throats – unless they are pit bulls.

    • Greg

      When you say you are not blaming the parents but she was their responsibility….. you are blaming the parents. Part of the cost of having this kind of dog is providing the necessary equipment to contain them, along with food, water, shots, housing, etc. If you can’t afford ALL of the expense then the mature decision would be not to have the dog. Yes, these dogs should be killed and the owner arrested and charged with the stiffest penalty offer by law,

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.