Utah man put in medically-induced coma from vaping-related lung disease

WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah — A Utah man is on life support after vaping gave him lipoid pneumonia, his family said.

Sean Bills, 31, of West Valley City, was admitted to the hospital Saturday and was recently placed on a medically-induced coma.

His wife, Tiffani Bills, said doctors at Jordan Valley Hospital believe vaping is to blame.

The Utah Department of Health recently began investigating a cluster of severe lung disease cases possibly linked to vaping. Since Monday, these cases have doubled in Utah.

“It hit out of nowhere, that’s for sure,” Tiffani Bills said. "They’ve had four other cases — my husband is the fifth at the hospital right now in critical condition because of vaping."

The couple vaped daily for two years. Roughly 10 days ago, the otherwise healthy father of three knew something was wrong.

“It’s starting with shortness of breath and pain and not being able to breathe. That’s why he’s in a coma right now is because he can’t breathe on his own,” Tiffani Bills said.

She says it’s lipoid pneumonia likely caused by inhaling fat particles.

“These are the juices possibly that are causing the issue,” Bills said holding up four juice bottles.

The Utah Department of Health said there are now 10 cases of severe lung disease possibly linked to vaping. That number rose from five reported cases on Monday.

Nationwide, more than 100 people developed similar problems. The cluster has become so troubling, the Center for Disease Control is investigating.

Tiffani Bills quit vaping when her husband was admitted to the hospital. She hopes others do the same.

“Stop,” she said. “Stop right now before it gets worse. I mean, it’s not worth your life.”

A GoFundMe account to help with mounting medical costs has been set up and can be found here.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

2 comments

  • jeffinputnam

    ““These are the juices possibly that are causing the issue,” Bills said holding up four juice bottles.”

    What juice? What company? Where were they obtained?

    There are millions of people who vape in the US who do not have these problems and the media never bothers to ask the details of the case leaving the public to believe the activity is inherently dangerous. That’s not only bad reporting, it’s propagandist, by playing int the hands of the anti-vaping crowd, and dangerous to the truth. We deserve better.

    • jeffinputnam

      The NY Times includes this passage in their article on the same subject:
      “Many patients, including some in Illinois, have acknowledged vaping of tetrahydrocannabinol, or (T.H.C.), the high
      inducing chemical in marijuana, according to statements from federal and state health agencies.But officials don’t know whether the ailments have been caused by marijuana-type products, e-cigarettes, or some type of street concoction that was vaped, or whether a contaminant or defective device may have been involved.”

      and,

      “Health officials did not say what product the patient had used, whether an e-cigarette or other vaping device; nor did they specify what substance was vaped.”

      This dramatically changes the tone of the story. If FOX insists on giving only a partial story they really do deserve the moniker of ‘fake news’. Stop it. You can be better than that.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.