Kitchen fire destroys apartment, displaces 17

KALAMAZOO, Mich. — An apartment fire displaced residents of 17 apartments Saturday morning.

The first calls to 911 came in before 10:30 a.m. for heavy smoke and fire coming from a second floor apartment at the Carriage Green Apartments on West Main Street. It took crews 30 minutes to contain the blaze.

Investigators say the fire started in the kitchen, where a resident seems to have left oil heating up in a pan. The oil caught fire, which spread to the rest of the kitchen.

The Red Cross is providing assistance to the occupants of the destroyed apartment and those displaced by smoke and water damage.

Officials tell FOX 17, luckily, no one was injured. “The Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety would like to remind you, when cooking, not to leave the kitchen unattended. Statistics show that most fires that occur during the day start in the kitchen. “

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.