GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Four people got out of a burning house safely Saturday afternoon in southeast Grand Rapids, but it took a while for firefighters to find all of the family’s cats.
Grand Rapids Battalion Chief Eric Freeman tells FOX 17 some of the pet felines were hiding when firefighters arrived, shortly after the fire broke out around 1 p.m. at 345 Carlton Ave.
The battalion chief says the cats were not harmed, and the house was not damaged very extensively.
The fire was in the basement.
“We got on scene within about 15 minutes, and knocked it down within about 40 minutes,” said Freeman. “Some work was being done on the house at the time the fire broke out.”
What started the fire is being investigated, and Freeman says an electrical short is being looked at as one possibility.
There was no early dollar estimate on the amount of damage done.