Police release body camera video of 12-year-old handcuffing

Garry has been with FOX 17 since April of 2015, coming to West Michigan from the sunniest place on the planet in Yuma, Arizona. He graduated from the University of Missouri and has been interested in the weather since he was a child in Kansas City, Missouri. He’s a scratch golfer and you’ll likely find him teeing it up after he completes his early morning shift on FOX 17 Morning News.


Recent Articles
  • Floor director Mike Davis reflects on time in Vietnam War

      WEST MICHIGAN- With the addition of a PBR boat to West Michigan, Floor Director Mike Davis went to visit a boat he is familiar with, as he served our country in the Vietnam War.  This PBR boat is the one of only 4 in the United States in water, and the first of its kind to operate full time.  If you’d like to find out more about this boat and Operation Black Sheep, click here.  

  • Uncommon early fall severe weather threat tonight

    WEST MICHIGAN- We’ve already seen plenty of cooler nights and it’s started to feel like fall.  We’ve only officially been into the fall season for a handful of days, but the signs that fall is here have been around for weeks.  We’re weeks away from our first frost of the season, but we’re still talking about severe weather today! The National Weather Service Storm Prediction Center has highlighted the Great Lakes region for a potential severe weather threat later today.  […]

  • Northern lights possible in Michigan tonight

    From my experience, it’s usually pretty difficult to see the Northern Lights in West Michigan.  We have a lot going against us, in terms of how far south we are and our light pollution. Often we’ll get photos like this one (above) from Brad Reed in 2017 from Frankfort, Mich.  This is obviously a great example of what we could see, but the reality is that it’s a lot easier to see the Northern Lights the further north you go […]

  • Cloudy start to the week, warmer temps ahead

    WEST MICHIGAN- A more fall like pattern has  settled into our area the last few days, but that’s set to change by middle of the week.  High pressure settles in and brings us a warmer and drier pattern.  Florence is poised to  be a major hurricane which could impact the southeaster United States later this week.  More on both of those in today’s video forecast:

  • Hot and humid Labor Day Weekend

    WEST MICHIGAN-  Over the last couple of days, the mornings (and even afternoons,) have felt like fall!  A few of our morning lows have started out in the 40s and low 50s, but that’s going to be in the rearview mirror shortly. Heat and humidity will increase ahead of a warm front that’s going to move through early Saturday.  Expect an initial line of showers and thunderstorms to begin the day and linger into early afternoon. A break will follow, […]

  • Drought conditions improve as August ends

    WEST MICHIGAN- We’ve been monitoring dry conditions in West Michigan the last several weeks, and rain the last few days have made significant strides in improving our drought. As of August 28th, many areas that were in the “moderate drought” are now just in the first category of “abnormally dry,” or not in any category of drought whatsoever. Storm total precipitation from Tuesday into Wednesday has not factored all the way into the current drought monitor map (valid August 28,) […]

  • Widespread rain develops Monday night

    WEST MICHIGAN-  We haven’t been without rain all season long, but there has been a lack of a widespread rain for several weeks.  We’ve gotten into a pattern with isolated showers and thunderstorms over the past few weeks.  As a result, 20% of you have gotten very heavy rain, with the other 80% staying very dry and missing out on the rain altogether. That looks to change tonight, as a widespread area of rain is currently off to our southwest […]

  • Western wildfire smoke affecting West Michigan

    WEST MICHIGAN- Have you noticed the general haze in the sky very recently, especially during the sunrise and sunset?  It’s very apparent when the sun is low on the horizon because of the colors those particulates in the air provide. It’s hard to believe, but that smoke is from the western wildfires in California, Arizona, and Colorado (among others.)  Our weather pattern and jet stream has picked up the copious amounts of smoke being produced and sent it downstream, and […]

  • Sunday’s weather cooperates for Perseid meteor shower viewing

    WEST MICHIGAN-  The weather has been pretty good the last few nights if you’ve attempted to view the Perseid meteor shower.  If you’ve missed out, there’s still time.  Tonight is the last great night for viewing.  For more details on the meteor shower, click here.