Young Deer Hangs Around Ottawa County Neighborhood

NUNICA, Mich. – A group of neighbors in Ottawa County got an unexpected visitor on New Year’s Eve.

15 Comments to “Young Deer Hangs Around Ottawa County Neighborhood”

tif said:
    December 31, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Stop killing animal… why why why

Sandie said:
      December 31, 2012 at 11:50 PM

What??????…???????…???????

Sandie said:
    December 31, 2012 at 11:54 PM

People on Reindeercam.com are looking to find a home for this animal….NOT kill it…..I'm not with them but am a HUGE fan of their care of Russell the white tail deer and all of the other animals.they care for in western Michigan…..I hope someone there sees this or one of the other posts and be able to do something about it….If not, I'm sure someone will find a place for him…..I pray that they will…………

2013worldseries said:
      January 1, 2013 at 5:40 AM

And hopefully, not a pay-to-hunt farm.

donna said:
    January 1, 2013 at 3:15 PM

no they dnr wont let him go to pay to hunt
    i live in nunica and this baby has been living in woods behind my house since he was born, not sure what happened to his mom , we been keeping food in the woods hoping to discourage him from roaming but hes all over town and not afraid of people at all. I will miss his visits but am happy he will be safe

Lindsay Kus responded:
    January 1, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Sandie, DNR has a plan to help rehab this deer, so when he gets old enough he can join a herd once again and be able to survive. Thanks for caring.

Ashleigh said:
    January 1, 2013 at 4:50 PM

This deer has NEVER been in a herd! It's WHOLE life it's been around people, I know because my dad nursed it from week one of this lil guys life!! He's almost a year old we found him with his cord still attached, his mom never came back for him so instead of letting him die my dad took care of him. My dad isn't around at the moment( for the past two months) but that's why he's been wondering around because my dads not there to look after him. Glad to know he's safe ♥ His names "Bucky" by the way!!!!!!!

Trisha said:
    January 1, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Lindsay- so did the DNR take him? Just wondering because my daughter is attached to him and wants to know if he is gone. Thanks

Lindsay responded:
      January 2, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Hey Trisha,
      DNR was planning on coming out today, but I haven't received confirmation that it happened. Sorry to disappoint your daughter. He is a cute little guy and easy to get attached to! A deer rehab expert was looking at taking him, so he can eventually be introduced into a herd. They're worried once he becomes of age he could be dangerous to people and wouldn't have survival skills. I'll let you know if I hear anything. One neighbor told me he was in her yard this afternoon.

Trisha said:
        January 3, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Thanks for the response Lindsay.

Kim said:
    January 3, 2013 at 11:28 AM

He was in our yard this morning.. I think he's getting a little territorial though, my kids were on their swingset and he kind of ran at them a few times, and kicked up a bit. I think it would definitely be in everyone's best interest if he gets placed somewhere soon.

Trisha said:
      January 3, 2013 at 6:44 PM

He does that when the kids yell at him too much. He likes calm people. You can return him to 2nd and South. We will welcome him back:)

Donna said:
    January 4, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I hear you Trisha, Im on the corner of South and Apple Drive and he was here just before Christmas "helping" me carry groceries in and I paid him with a peanut butter sandwich.

Trisha said:
      January 4, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Donna, I am the one that walks the yellow lab all the time. He was always trying to "help" me walk my dog with my two young kids in tow. He loves my daughter. She would sit in our front yard on the weekends waiting for him to show up. She keeps on asking where he is.

Nancy said:
    January 5, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Where is the deer now? It would be great to keep track of the deer as he grows. He looks so super friendly from the video.