Jackson County Deputy’s 4-Year-Old Son Killed In Accidental Shooting

JACKSON COUNTY, Mich– Lon Zicafoose was returning home from a shopping trip, and noticed his neighbor, Jackson County Deputy Mark Easter leaving his home for work.

“Not, maybe 5 minutes later we heard him coming back, his lights were on his siren were going and he raced around the corner and into his driveway and nearly spun out. Raced up to the house and ran inside. I thought, okay, something is going on,” Lon Zicafoose, neighbor said.

Lon and his son Riley had no idea what was going on, but knew something was seriously wrong.

“He ran into the house and then about 2 or 3 minutes later, he came out and was screaming, no, no, no,” Riley Zicafoose said.

According to WLNS, Easter’s 4-year-old son shot and killed himself around 5pm Saturday night at the deputy’s home in Jackson County. The Sheriff for Jackson County Sheriff’s Office says Easter was on his way to work, and believes the child was at home with his mother.

“I knew it was bad when one of the local sheriff’s here, he came out of the house and was walking down the driveway. I could tell he was crying and he got closer to the road here and he was sobbing and crying,” Lon said.

Lon says he has so many questions as to how this happened.

“How did that kid get that weapon? How did he get a loaded weapon? How did they have access to it? I just can’t imagine what the mom is going through, because the mom was there, what the mom and other kids are going through,” Lon said.

Lon says he’s family is giving Easter’s family the space they need to grieve, but they plan on offering to help them with anything they need during this difficult time.

“I can’t imagine what they are going through right now, I hope and pray the family can get through this,” Lon said.

The Jackson County Sheriff’s Office plans on bringing in grief counselors to talk to members of the staff.

10 Comments to “Jackson County Deputy’s 4-Year-Old Son Killed In Accidental Shooting”

Jleal said:
    March 3, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Sounds to me like this pro gun activist who practices his 5 amendment needs to be charge with Manslaughter for the death of his child. He had a loaded gun that was not safely secure in the house with a 4 year old, and that is neglect and manslaughter. If this was anyone else, especially of another race the cops would of slap the cuffs on instantly. It is only fair..No excuses. You choose to have a loaded gun lying around the house unsecure around a 4 year old, you have to pay the consequences. This was no accident is that is for sure.

Speaker Of Truth said:
      March 4, 2013 at 2:17 AM

You're a hate filled idiot.shut up

Debbie Kaminski said:
        March 4, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Thank You.

Robert said:
      March 4, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Close your communist hole…and please send people to take my guns. I give them to you, one bullet at a time.

bagger.rage said:
        March 4, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Move to Somalia, bagger.

anonymous said:
    March 4, 2013 at 3:36 AM

Go back to your meth low life!

RRO1960 said:
      March 4, 2013 at 8:21 AM

You all are acting no better on here than Jleal with the name calling. Meth? Really? IF you own a gun it is up to YOU to secure it, end of story!!!!!!

Anonymous said:
    March 4, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Totally agree…you own a gun it’s your responsibility to keep it locked up an secure especially if your a f***in cop c’mon there ain’t no excuse for tht one an u would think because he is part of the law ge would know better an so would his kids, I have a 4 year old an he knows right from wrong….my heart goes out to the family for there loss it’s very sad cuz this could have so been prevented

Jleal said:
    March 4, 2013 at 10:54 AM

RRO that is the thruth. And that is it plain and simple. This has nothing to do with hate. It seems like we are trying to live in a world where only the laws applies to some, and not to all. And the comments they made is a perfect example of the idioicy that I am talking about. If this was some black guy from the projects you all would of comment differently. I have a 4 year old son, and I could not imagine having a gun in the house the way he is without it being secured and unloaded in a safe. But if he doesn't get charged, he has paid enough. Live by the gun die by the gun, or your children actually die by the gun.

Gloria said:
    March 10, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I am very sad for this family. I just think it is so important to have your gun secured and locked away whenever they are not with you. I pray for the day that this type of thing never happens again. My heart breaks for this family.