Mom Loses Custody After Baby Reportedly Eats Cocaine

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Monday morning, the Department of Human Services filed to remove an infant from its mother’s custody.

As FOX 17 was the first to report, Grand Rapids police believe the baby may have ingested cocaine.

Neighbors tell FOX 17 News Stacy Gatlin is the mother of  that child.

DHS won the child neglect hearing. A clerk with the Kent County Circuit Court family division says that infant is in its father’s custody.

It started Friday afternoon. Grand Rapids police say that’s when Child Protective Services requested that detectives go to a home on the 800 block of Franklin Street.

When investigators arrived, they removed the baby. According to police, the child may have consumed crack cocaine.

It’s not clear what happened next, but FOX 17 learned that Gatlin was then arrested for ‘disturbing the peace’ and was sent to the Kent County Jail.

She was released after 48 hours because a warrant was never filed, and she was never charged. So the jail couldn’t hold her.

FOX 17 tried speaking with Gatlin at her home. No one came to the door.

The baby`s condition isn`t known at this time. Blood work is being done to determine if it did in fact consume any cocaine.

Police will then be able to determine if they will press any charges.

Grand Rapids police say blood work isn’t complete. Lab work will help determine if the baby consumed the drug.

Friday, neighbors told FOX 17 that police and an ambulance were called to the 800  block of Franklin Street SE at about 1 p.m. They said the child was removed  from  the home after investigators were called to the scene.

According to court documents, on Tuesday, March 8, Gatlin was arrested for a misdemeanor.

18 Comments to “Mom Loses Custody After Baby Reportedly Eats Cocaine”

MuddyG said:
    March 11, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Nice work, Fox 17.

Somebody on this block might be a crackhead! Sorry if we showed a picture of your house and it's not you… Maybe it's your neighbor! Who cares! All the white people think everyone on Franklin are crackheads anyway.

Whoopsie!

Nikie said:
      March 11, 2013 at 5:05 PM

you ignorant piece of shit. I live off franklin and yes there are some crack heads who live there but not all people who live there are.

MuddyG said:
        March 11, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Clearly sarcasm is not in your repertoire.

Hootie said:
      March 11, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Why does it got to be all the white people?????? All people probably think that, you're the reason there is still racism in this frickin country!!!!!

williams said:
    March 11, 2013 at 12:51 PM

that is ashame that a child could have got a hold of the drugs, where were the parents, or better yet the mother, and what were the drugs doing in the house with an infant, or any other children for that matter, some of these young people just don't know what it is to be a real parent!!

ForgiveMe said:
      March 12, 2013 at 2:58 PM

It's not only young people! It's people of all ages! Duh!

fred said:
    March 11, 2013 at 2:30 PM

aern't they?

april said:
      March 11, 2013 at 5:28 PM

lol

Donk said:
    March 11, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I'm moved by all the concern for the child ( hows my sarcasm ?)
    You all just keep worrying about yourselves…you're very good at it.

MuddyG said:
      March 12, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I'm not here to move you. I was here to read the news. I'm not concerned about expressing concern for an alleged child, I was expressing my concern about poor journalism. Good journalism is in all of our best interests. Me typing, "Aw, that's so terrible," doesn't really do anyone any good, but I'm glad you've got that covered. I'm sure that will be of great benefit to the child's future.

By the way, this is now a different article than the one I originally posted to; it has been updated. Again, lousy journalism in the context of maintaining the integrity of the thread. But I guess I would have wanted to hide that piece of shit article, too.

Stunned said:
        March 12, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I agree with you that the article was poor journalism. What I'd like to know is what made the police think the baby consumed crack cocaine? The police are probably making this into something other than an unfit mother. Clearly she looks like she's on some type of drug, so did the assume the baby consumed it because of that. And if she is a crackhead, the baby is probably a crack baby and it will be in it's system anyhow. IJS

angry said:
    March 11, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Typical bottom-feeding filth. She should be sterilized. That poor kid…I couldn't imagine.

guest said:
    March 11, 2013 at 11:27 PM

she kinda looks like she isn't done evolving iykwim…

sonnyboy1 said:
    March 12, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Will she still get her welfare benefits?

sam said:
    March 12, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Total waste of air. Low life woman needs her hair yanked out!

Guest said:
    March 12, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Wow. News goofs up. No shock.
    Now so many here have become judge and jury, and even cruel. Yet none of you know what happened, either.
    Sad.

how to get fair skin at home instantly said:
    May 19, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I’m a extended time watcher and I just considered I’d
    drop by and say hello there for your quite very
    first time.
    I severely enjoy your posts. Thank you
    You will be my function models. Many thanks for your article