New Bill Would Permit Michigan Bars To Serve Alcohol Until 4:00 AM

The bar scene in West Michigan might change a bit, if a bill sponsored by two Democrats and a Republican is passed into law.  Senate Bill 247 was introduced in early March.  If passed as written, it would allow bars to stay open until 4:00 am if they pay a $10,000 fee to the state.
The bill reads, “An on premises licensee located within a central business district in a city may sell or furnish alcoholic liquor between the hours of 2:00 am and 4:00 am on any day if the licensee has obtained an extended hours permit from the commission.  To obtain an extended hours permit, a licensee shall submit a completed application and a yearly permit fee of $10,000.00 to the state.”
Other requirements, include providing one security person for every 50 customers and having or installing a 360-degree video surveillance system on the premises.
One bar owner told us that staying open until 4:00 am could be a big money-maker for West Michigan bars.
It would also put millions of dollars into state coffers with the recommended fees attached.
However, not everybody is on board.
The owner of Barfly Ventures, Mark Sellers, feels the money is not worth the price to the community.

He says drinking and driving, fighting, noise issues and other complaints will be detrimental to the area.

“I don’t support it at all as a bar owner and I hope none of the bars downtown Grand Rapids try to get one of these 4:00 am licenses because it won’t be good for downtown,” said Sellers.

Since the bill was just introduced in March, it could be months before it’s voted on and a possible final version of the bill reaches the governor’s desk.
(D) Senator Bert Johnson, (D) Senator Virgil Smith and (R) Senate Majority Leader Randy Richardville co-sponsored the bill.

28 Comments to “New Bill Would Permit Michigan Bars To Serve Alcohol Until 4:00 AM”

LisaM said:
    April 9, 2013 at 7:56 PM

If I remember correctly, the original bill in 2009, which Governor Granholm supported, required that restaurants stop serving alcohol at 2AM. The intent was to allow restaurants to stay open to give patrons time to sober up so that they did not drive drunk. They might instead serve coffee, pop and food, I support allowing bars to stay open til 4AM, but I do not support the sale of alcohol after 2AM.

Dan T said:
      April 10, 2013 at 12:14 AM

I believe this is already allowed.

LisaM said:
        April 10, 2013 at 12:35 AM

I checked further and the bill in 2009 pertained to entertainment, allowing bars to continue to provide entertainment, not alcohol, until 4AM. Sorry for the confusion. I don't think, though, that that bill ever became reality.

Brooke said:
    April 9, 2013 at 10:42 PM

How did it affect other cities like Chicago to continue to serve alcohol until 4am?

anonymous said:
      April 10, 2013 at 9:18 AM

In chicago you can catch a cab within 30 seconds to 30 minutes… GR you cannot.

anonymouse said:
      April 10, 2013 at 9:35 AM

bars in chicago open till 4am are usually empty (unless its a event night) and infested with gangs.

anonymous said:
        April 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM

lol what? definitely not infested with gangs…don't know what side of chicago you party at.

Tom said:
      May 2, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Have you seen the crime rate in Chicago ?

Earl said:
    April 9, 2013 at 10:53 PM

We need more drunks on the roads..that way the roads will never be safe.
    Odd that more people are killed by drunks than guns, but no campaign to fix THAT.

tab said:
    April 9, 2013 at 10:56 PM

NO WAY>>>>> BAD IDEA>>>>>>

Shariann said:
    April 9, 2013 at 11:00 PM

HORRIBLE IDEA!!!! I have a heck of a time getting my husband home after 2 a.m. – let alone 4 a.m.! I HATE THIS, HATE THIS, HATE THIS!!!! Find another way to fill the State Coffers you JERKS!!!!!!

Pete Pumphandle said:
      April 9, 2013 at 11:03 PM

get a new husband, he isn't our problem

anonymous said:
      April 10, 2013 at 9:33 AM

AA ?

Shady said:
    April 9, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I will be in full support :)

LetsGoBlue said:
    April 9, 2013 at 11:36 PM

This spells bad news for the smaller businesses that can't really afford to pay $10K/year. Many people will choose to go to the establishments that opt in, so they will be sort of screwed either way. I have no problem with the restriction decrease, however, in fact I don't agree with any restrictions. I feel for those who are like the commenter that complained her husband is already out late, but that's no reason to restrict the freedoms of those that act responsibly.

DanT said:
      April 10, 2013 at 12:14 AM

I Really cant't see any bar that cant afford to pay an extra $10,000 a year for this new license. Lets say on the LOWEST end the establishment does an extra $1,000 in sales on each Friday and Saturday night (simple to do with an extra 2 hours), that amounts to $104,000 in extra sales a year. Paying less than 10% of that should be a no-brainer from a business standpoint.

jim said:
        April 10, 2013 at 5:46 AM

Your assumption is that there will be at least 50 people in the bar buying 4 drinks each between 2 and 4. Most SMALL bars will not have nearly 50 people in them at that time. Maybe 5-10 people if that. At $10,000 fee, this is geared towards large bars.

dv727 said:
          April 10, 2013 at 8:01 AM

I can see it now……..the bar police, showing up and counting heads and drinks at 2:20AM. Better police for a better police state.

anonymous said:
      April 10, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Spoken from the walmart of a true wolverine….

anonymous said:
    April 10, 2013 at 12:33 AM

My job requires me to drive at night and i already see enough morons on the road. Giving people 2 more hours to drink would be a disaster waiting to happen. I guess we haven’t seen enough people die yet!

dv727 said:
      April 10, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Maybe we should ban ANYONE from driving late at night unless they have government-approved travel papers!! That worked so well in……Germany……in the 30's and 40's, didn't it??

Tim said:
    April 10, 2013 at 4:12 AM

And what would we get out of this? 2 more hours of drunk "A" holes! And more drunk drivers of course!

Rose said:
    April 10, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Like enough people arn't killed every day on our rd's let them stay till time for people to head to work and school Damn fools

dv727 said:
    April 10, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Can you spell FREEDOM?? Why should the government determine what time ANY business should close?? Concerned about drunk drivers?? Catch 'em!! (Cops violate enough laws in search of this Holy Grail anyway.) Concerned about "showing up late for work or school?" Don't stay out! (Is someone holding a Mark Kelly disapproved firearm to your head??)

anonymous said:
      April 10, 2013 at 9:32 AM

its about safety….

barguy said:
    April 10, 2013 at 9:30 AM

eh… dumb idea.. I love the bars, and the beers that come with it, but really. after 2am there is no need to keep drinking. You drink you do stupid things, like spend all your money, drive, fight, blow up hotdogs in backseats. Which all leads to hospital bills, divorce, DUI court fees etc etc.. Lets be the helpers here not the enablers. The 2am rule is about safety, I can't believe these idiots are making it about money. Common sense people.

Chicago bars that are open till 4am are basically just gang hangouts.. really its not very nice.

You want to generate revenue, setup late night public transportation to the burbs, start a city run cab service..

mitchman1123 said:
    April 10, 2013 at 10:20 AM

no offense….but who ever edited that, chopped up what I said- she showed what I said would be a pro, but did not show the cons i also discussed

Eric said:
    April 26, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I'm very pleased to land on this page. I want to thank you for creating this excellent article!! I loved every little bit of it and I have your site saved as a favorite so I can keep up on your new articles.