Rockford Family Hoping For Daughter, Welcomes 12th Baby Boy Into The World

A family in Rockford is welcoming baby number 12 into the world and for the 12th time, it’s a boy.

Tucker Ray Schwandt was born on August, 4.

He’s coming into the world with 11 eager big brothers who rushed into the room at Saint Mary’s Hospital in Grand Rapids to greet him.

“I never imagined I`d be sitting here with my 12th child,” said Jay Schwandt, Tucker’s dad.

Tucker’s middle name comes from his grandfather “Ray” who shares the same birthday.

“We didn`t know what he would be when he was first born. We don`t find out. It`s always a boy, but it`s always a surprise,” said Kateri Schwandt.

Jay said he was somewhat rooting for a girl along with a few other friends who were thinking pink, but blue won out.

“I`m sure a little girl probably would be fun but we know what we`re doing,” said Teri. “Sometimes I feel like I`m living in a locker room.”

Teri says after number 11, she’s got this down.

The family operates on flow charts and chores, sports and band-aids.

Sometimes it’s the law of jungle.

“With boys sometimes it gets a little rough,” said Ty, the oldest brother.

Ty, at 21, has a lot of experience with wrangling the bunch.

“Don`t turn your back on them for too long,” he said with a smile.

He’s picked up a few life skills along the way as well.

“I know how to manage time and manage a schedule and make sure kids get where they need to be and get picked up when Mom forgets every now and then,” said Ty.

The boys got to help in naming Tucker along with mom and dad.

They hashed it out together in a group decision.

“Maybe you wouldn`t be surprised what some of the boys came up with,” said Jay.

“We almost had an Elmo,” said Teri.

As for more children, Jay says they aren’t opposed to having more and unless something medically occurs.

He says it’s a religious preference and his wife is a devout Catholic.

He says if they are blessed with a 13th child, he does hope that is the charm and they are able to have a daughter.

17 Comments to “Rockford Family Hoping For Daughter, Welcomes 12th Baby Boy Into The World”

K-Dude said:
    August 5, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Why do I need 3 FB notifications about these morons that can't keep their pants on????

K-Dude said:
      August 5, 2013 at 11:36 PM

How long before they are begging for hand-outs because they can't afford to feed & cloth the poor children??

Joan said:
        August 6, 2013 at 8:11 AM

The Swandts are very loving and responsible parents. Their children are excellent examples of being raised in a loving Christ-based home. They will never need hand-outs. Jay and Kateri are living God''s word.
        I'm sorry for you "K-Dude" that you do not know the blessings of their concept of life.

K-Dude said:
          August 6, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I'm glad I'm not one of the older children, guess who gets to be acting parents? Bet those older children aren't feeling very blessed.

Val said:
            August 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Your a special kind of idiot. I am the oldest of eleven and it was the best thing ever. I'm married and have 8 of my own. It taught me to be responsible and generous to others without just thinking of myself all the time. They look like an awesome family and stupid for you to think they can't afford them. My parents could more than afford us.

K-Dude said:
            August 6, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Proves only you are no smarter than your parents. You have 8 kids and call me an idiot, good one, lol!!!!

Tracy said:
    August 5, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Congratulations Jay and Kateri! So happy for you both. Very good to see some SMH/GHS grads doing so very well! Prayers and hugs always…Tracy (Chouinard. SMH'92).

Calan said:
    August 6, 2013 at 7:36 AM

It's unfortunately that the older children have to give up their freedom because they are expected to look after the younger children. All because the parents can't practice some birth control!

Heather said:
    August 6, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Congratulations! So refreshing to see a family that values life and doesn't see it as a disposable commodity. Children are a blessing.

ekeller6 said:
    August 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Congratulations! What a huge accomplishment! I have 4 boys of my own and they are the best, my hat's off to them..they deserve a medal of some kind, and possibly another refrigerator..:)

Carolyn--Guest said:
    August 6, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I can't imagine being responsible for 12 children, no matter the sex. I do think they all take care of each other but what size house would you have to have to even house that many people ?????And where would all the money for groceries etc. come ????? He must have a tremendous job !!

jhminkas said:
    August 6, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Schwandts: You have an absolutely beautiful family! Don't let anyone ever let you believe otherwise. You have been given a tremendous gift… the gift of a large family. You know the blessings, and challenges, that come with this gift. Yet, this gift FAR outweighs any gift this world can give. Treasure it. Congratulations and May God bless you for your generosity.

FallingUpward said:
    August 7, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I have 4 boys! No girls :( I would love a lil' girl but we are done having children. I cannot imagine 12 boys – yikes! But good for them! If they can do it and not have to depend on the government for hand outs and money then more power to them!

K-Dude said:
      August 8, 2013 at 12:41 AM

"If" is the question, just wait. Personal responsibility applies to all not just welfare mothers..