10-Year-Old Devon Morrison Found Dead in Flat River

Morrison – Devon

Photo courtesy Chelsea Bow.

BELDING, Mich. — The body of 10-year-old Devon Morrison was discovered Monday afternoon by dive teams during a searching in the Flat River.

Morrison was last seen Saturday morning, and search crews from several organizations, including the FBI, were investigating Sunday and Monday.

According to police, Morrison’s body was discovered near his favorite fishing place by the Ashfield Street Bridge.  His exact cause of death will be determined by an autopsy.

16 Comments to “10-Year-Old Devon Morrison Found Dead in Flat River”

Britt Froehlke & Family said:
    September 16, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Thoughts and prayers to the Morrison Family… my deepest condolences

M. Killian said:
    September 16, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Oh how terribly sad!! BUT WHY OH WHY do they have to title it like that!! Don't you have more compassion?? UGH I HATE when you title news stories with "DEAD" Why not body of…or something to that effect, don't you think for one second of how you would feel if you were the parents or relatives of the person? Especially a child!! Sending prayers to the family.

Ruth Stidham said:
    September 16, 2013 at 2:39 PM

RIP Devon….prayers to family and friends. So sad

julie fisk said:
    September 16, 2013 at 2:42 PM

My Heart aches. Thought's and prayers to the Family :'(

....... said:
    September 16, 2013 at 3:03 PM

R.I.P Devon Morrison. Prayers to the Morrison family and the friends of Devon. R.I.P….What Should We Wear For school in Order To Show Resspect To him?

Ken Rookus said:
    September 16, 2013 at 3:12 PM

We are saddened beyond words to hear this news
    We were absloutely touched by the way the Belding and surrounding areas come together over the weekend hundreds of people volunteered and donated and did what a top shelf community does when one of theirs are in need
    so sorry for your loss

Linda said:
    September 16, 2013 at 4:12 PM

My deepest condolences, thoughts, & prayers to the family & friends of this little boy. He was taken too soon. I do not like reading stories like this. Accidents do happen, but there have been way too many drownings this year. So very sad. :'(

christina said:
    September 16, 2013 at 5:45 PM

my prayers are with the family sorry to here the young man is gone

Anne said:
    September 16, 2013 at 6:39 PM

My heart goes out to the family of this precious child. I hope through a tragedy such as this, that other families can remind their little ones of how important the buddy system is, and that there is improved safety in numbers. It's times like this we think of all the things that could have prevented this event from happening in the first place, but sometimes bad things happen to good people and there is nothing more to say

char said:
    September 16, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I am in no way saying it was any ones fault but why do people let their children that young go fishing or swimming by themselves? No way would I allow my children to even ride down the road by themselves when they were that age…you just cant trust people these days and to many accidents happen. Condolences to the Morrison family.

think people said:
      September 16, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Good for you. Glad you're such a great parent. Glad you know how mature he was, what privileges he had been granted, and what rules of the water were enforced in their home.

You may not be assigning fault, but you sure aren't giving any grace here. This family lost their child. And if they or their parents or their friends come on here, they are going to see thoughtless, hurtful comments like this one that make it seem like their lack of judgment contributed to the death of their son.

K-Dude said:
      September 17, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Not all parents hand a cell phone and strap a helmet on their child every time they leave the house char! Kids in the country play in the woods and around ponds, creeks, & rivers. Farm kids live around dangerous animals every day. I drove a tractor at 10 and a truck at 12. To quote from your comment, "accidents happen."

Devon's Mom said:
      October 31, 2013 at 10:30 PM

No one ever agreed with Devon going fishing alone. Problem was, I live in a town that is completely on the river. It practically runs through my back yard, where Devon was that day, since he was about 6. You have no idea how hard it was to keep him from going fishing on his own. At first he always had one of us with him, it was his passion, and he wanted to do it every spare moment he had. When he did come out last summer and say "mom, I'm not a baby" I had to give him that. I started insisting on going with friends (this town and neighborhood is filled with little boys, and that's what they do here) and wearing a life jacket. Life jackets didn't last long, he wouldn't leave them on, would lose them or they would get stolen. What good would buying and insisting and grounding and repeating the processes have done if there was no way to keep it on him? When Devon was told he couldn't go fishing, he'd later ask to go to a friends house and next thing I know his fishing pole and worms are gone too. I couldn't have him just taking off and going where ever and me not knowing where. We had to compromise, teach him the rules, give him some independence and monitor him as closely as we could. The day of the accident, he asked if he could go with the other boys he usually goes fishing with, he was told yes. The other boys were grounded and couldn't go. It wasn't like Devon came home to tell Brent that, he instead just went fishing. He had his time limit and was checked on before his time limit even came and it was discovered he wasn't at either of the 2 places he was allowed to go. I don't know where you live, or how you grew up, but this town is small and it's completely family focused. Everyone watches out for everyone. I DO trust my kids to do things by themselves. I can't hold their hands forever. Devons 11th birthday is tomorrow, it's not like he was a baby. Next year he would have been in Jr high. At what age do you think it's appropriate that I finally let my children out of my sight to explore, play with their friends, make their own decisions and mistakes? 13? 14?16? 18? If it was realistic to wrap my children in bubble wrap and walk them by hand through life I would, but at some point you have to give them a little bit of their own freedom, or they'll take it anyway. I did the best I could with the tools I was given. I beat myself up daily that there was always something more I could have done or how I could have done it differently, so hearing it from strangers really means nothing. In the end, I CAN'T change what happened and have to learn to live with the loss of my lil boy for the rest of my life.