Deputies: Man Admits to Killing Cousin

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KENT COUNTY, Mich. – It’s been six years since Kyle Wilson was charged with the death of a West Michigan teenager. On Monday, he was back inside another courtroom, only this time, he’s accused of killing his own cousin.

Wilson sat quietly in a Kent County courtroom as the magistrate read the charges against him. He’s charged with 1 count homicide/open murder and being an habitual offender.

Wilson’s accused of murdering Brandon Lee Nelson, who was both his cousin and roommate.

On Friday, investigators were called to the York Creek apartment that the cousins shared in Alpine Township. Inside, they found Nelson’s body. He died from blunt force trauma, according to the Kent County medical examiner.

Deputies arrested Wilson on Saturday. During the questioning process, authorities said Wilson admitted to killing Nelson.

After digging through the FOX 17 archive, we learned this isn’t the first time Wilson has found himself at the center of a homicide investigation, which is the reason behind the habitual offender charge.

Back in 2007, Wilson was charged with manslaughter in the death of Jordon Nink, from Barry County, who was just 15-years-old.  According to records, the teen was stabbed inside the home where Wilson lived on Saddler Street in Orangeville Township. It happened on the 4th of July.

On Monday, the victim’s father in that case spoke out to FOX 17 about the recent charges against Wilson.

” It’s kind of a good and bad feeling,” John Nink said. “It’s bad because, not only does it bring up bad thoughts of what happened, now another family is going to have to go through it. It’s good because now I do think he’s going to hot get the time he deserves.

Nink went on to say that the pain of losing his youngest son, a Martin High School athlete, is something that never goes away for him and his wife.

“It’s hard. That was her (his wife’s) boy,” Nink said. “Now she basically has to relive it all over again.”

According to the department of corrections website, Wilson served five and a half years for Jordon’s death.

Nink said that although he doesn’t know the details of this recent case against Wilson, he hasn’t forgotten what happened 6-years-ago and will forever miss his son. Fighting back tears, Nink told us what he misses about his son, everyday.

“His smile. He’s a good kid. Had a lot of friends,” Nink said. “Never going to see him again. It’s not right. And he [Wilson] got away with murder. It’s just not right. And we have to live with that everyday.”

Although the Kent County Sheriff’s Department said Wilson admitted to killing his cousin, a motive has not be released. Wilson is expected back in court on September 30.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


  • Craig Clark

    Not mentioned in this online story is information provided to the reporter by York Creek. Here is that statement: “Brandon Nelson was a registered occupant of York Creek Apartments. The accuser, however, Kyle Wilson, was not a registered occupant. In late October 2012, following a routine law enforcement “parole sweep” of Alpine Township, York Creek management became aware that a known felon, Mr. Wilson, was residing as an unregistered occupant in Mr. Nelson’s apartment. At that time management took immediate action to inform Mr. Nelson that Wilson had to vacate immediately. Mr. Nelson agreed and the pledge was made official on November 9, 2012, when Mr. Nelson signed a waiver acknowledging that no known felon would continue to reside in the apartment. This claim was further verified by Mr. Wilson’s parole officer, citing that Wilson was no longer residing with Mr. Nelson. We continue to cooperate with authorities on the matter.” (I handle PR for York)