Students Sing Miley Cyrus Song In Protest Of “Wrecking Ball” Removal

GVSU Wreckig Ball 2ALLENDALE, Mich. – It’s a story going viral in a way that would make Miley Cyrus proud.

Shortly after the release of her music video “Wrecking Ball” on Youtube, students at Grand Valley State University began making parody videos of their own using a large art installation as a wrecking ball.

Those videos spread through social media and it wasn’t long before the university took action.

The piece of art known as “The Pendulum” is a 42-inch steel ball hanging from a 50-foot steel cable was removed from the Padnos Science building.

On Tuesday, Sept. 17 the head of facilities at GVSU, Tim Thimmesch said it was removed for safety reasons.  He said the decision to remove it came by consensus of himself and two other department heads.

After the ball was removed, about 50 or more students held a “sing-in” in protest of it’s removal.  They gathered near the spot where the ball once hung and sang the lyrics to the popular song at center of the controversy.

FOX 17 spoke with university spokesperon, Dottie Barnes after the protest.  We were told no disciplinary action against the students responsible for the videos is planned at this time.  Barnes said the art installation has been removed and they anticipate the problems it may have been linked to will end as well.

13 Comments to “Students Sing Miley Cyrus Song In Protest Of “Wrecking Ball” Removal”

KEN R said:
    September 17, 2013 at 11:40 PM

WOW I thought it was a college not an elementary school. What juvenial behavior
    should make the school proud?!!?

K-Dude said:
      September 18, 2013 at 12:29 AM

And juvenile behavior is what got the ball taken away in the 1st place. Stay classy college students.

CommonSense said:
        September 18, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Miley is such a prize. Its pretty indictive of a lot of what is out in this world of 20 year olds at the present time. Sounds like some need to attend college full time and also find full-time employment.

gobluespartyon said:
      September 24, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Doesn't sound like you know what fun is that isn't juvenial behavior which that claim is a lie. Just college students having fun to me you need to lighten up no big deal.

ivan said:
    September 18, 2013 at 3:24 AM

How pathetic are these grown children’s lives? I don’t know what’s worse these kids protesting or that someone thought it was news worthy.

I wonder how long it will before they’re licking sledgehammers at the local Home Depot?

gobluespartyon said:
      September 24, 2013 at 7:36 PM

If you don't think that it's news worthy then don't click the headline you don't get it Ivan what fun is either.

anonymous said:
    September 18, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Seriously people… I'm pretty sure you all remember being that age as well and letting loose and having fun! Get off the rocking chair old farts and relax! I don't think they said they were all NAKED they were having fun doing a remake of a really shitty song and that's it! RELAX

Hawk said:
      September 18, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Yes Academia has failed

Ashlee said:
    September 18, 2013 at 12:23 PM

As a student of Grand Valley, I would just like to remind everyone reading this that the reason the students are protesting is because that pendulum has been installed for 18 years and it is standard Laker tradition to ride on it at least once during your college years. I have pictures of myself on it from my Freshman year 2 years ago, fully clothed and harmless. The argument here is that our tradition shouldn't cease because of a few students' misguided actions. Also, everyone at our school thinks how viral this story has gone is utterly hilarious and ridiculous. I am PROUD to be a Laker for a Lifetime!

CommenSense said:
      September 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM

If you all really need something productive to do, head down to God's Kitchen and put in a little useful time there!

gobluespartyon said:
      September 24, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I think GVSU should put the pendulum back and let the students ride it. I thought it was pretty funny saw it on AXS Live last wed I was laughing.

gobluespartyon said:
    September 24, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I thought it was funny I hope GVSU bring back the pendulum so the students can ride it. I guess some just don't know what fun is some need to lighten up and live a little.