Agema Hits Gay Marriage Again, Accused Of Bigotry

Agema – Dave YouTube screen shot

Dave Agema (YouTube screen shot)

BERRIEN COUNTY, Mich. — Speaking to a holiday reception of fellow Republicans about uniting the party, former state representative Dave Agema again brought up same-sex marriage and benefits for domestic partners.

After urging Republicans to “stop the bickering” and find common ground, Agema, who is currently a member of the Republican National Committee, said gay people “want free medical because they’re dying,” the Herald-Palladium reported.

(Read the entire article)

Agema said opposition to same-sex marriage is in the Republican platform, and “those in our party who oppose traditional marriage are wrong,” the newspaper reported.

Conservative columnist Dennis Lennox of The Morning Sun in Traverse City and a Republican Party precinct delegate, has sent a letter to the Michigan Republican Committee seeking censure of Agema, reported MLive. He called Agema’s position “unabashed bigotry.”

(Read the entire article)

6 Comments to “Agema Hits Gay Marriage Again, Accused Of Bigotry”

cc333 said:
    December 10, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Agema is nuts. So glad he quit flying planes. Could you imagine putting your life in this nutjobs hands? What if he decided suddenly that it was God's will to crash a plane? Religious whackos are all the same no matter if their Christians, Muslims or Jews. Crazy is as crazy does.

kdude said:
      December 10, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Sounds like you are intolerant of an opposing position of yours, you must be a bigot!?!?!?

goodasU said:
    December 10, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Re: “those in our party who oppose traditional marriage are wrong,”

But of course, no one DOES "oppose traditional marriage". I think heterosexual marriage is a fine institution … for heterosexuals. But 'we ain't all that' (as the kids used to say). I'm gay, been legally married for close to a decade, and I still encourage all my friends who are heterosexual couples to commit to one another in marriage as I and my husband did. In that decade, literally hundreds of thousands of heterosexual couples have gotten legally married as well. And NO ONE "opposes" that. What an asinine statement to make. There is no campaign happening to deny heterosexuals the right to marry the person of their mutual choosing.

If GOPers are going to continue to say such demonstrably silly things, they'd better get used to losing this debate. Thinking people know better.

Musings said:
    December 10, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Why is itbigotry? Just because a group of people have changed what is morally wrong? If a group of people decoded to marry there 14 year old daughters. If you opposed them is that bigotry? If a mother wants to marry her son is that bigotry?

Just because a group decides to press there form of right and wrong on others does mean its right for all. What some would say is intolerant today didn't think so 20 years ago.

The questions I posed above will become the next chapter for intolerance. So when your favorite uncle runs off with your 14 year old daughter be tolerant and pay for the wedding because to disagree is being a bigot.

Atticus said:
      December 11, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Uh, I think you've got it a bit out if whack… You can believe all you want, have all the opinions you want, but you DO NOT get to be in a position of power and say completely unfounded, non-factual sweeping generalizations about an entire group of people and expect those people to stand by and be okay with being walked all over. I'm gay, I have a partner, I've never been promiscuous, I don't have an STD or AIDS, and I do more good for my little community than most.

This is not an argument of intolerance. This is dangerous hate speech and it WILL NOT be tolerated by those who have the power … THE MAJORITY OF VOTERS.

Steve said:
    January 20, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Good for you Dave. I am not for same sex marriage either. Good for the duck dynasty boys too. I am getting sick of the "gay agenda" being pushed in my face by the media, especially by fox news also. Most folks are not for it either so you better think about pushing it in my face.