Sports

Official: Ballpark Blaze Started by Space Heater

COMSTOCK PARK, Mich. — The blaze that engulfed Fifth Third Ballpark Friday was caused by a space heater in one of the suites, a fire official on the scene confirmed.

According to Plainfield Township Assistant Fire Chief Steven McKellar, work crews using the heater initially tried to put the fire out, thought it was contained and left the area.  The fire then likely spread up the walls to the attic, McKellar said.

When work crews returned to the area, it was engulfed in flames.

There were 30 workers in the ballpark at the time of the fire.  All of them made it out safely, and no firefighters were injured trying to contain the blaze.

VIEW & ADD COMMENTS

2 Comments to “Official: Ballpark Blaze Started by Space Heater”

    Scherzerfan said:
    January 3, 2014 at 8:10 PM

    I'll bet somebody feels like s**t right now.

    Peter said:
    January 3, 2014 at 9:23 PM

    Fire has a mind of its own, it pretends to be tame until you think it is-

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Advertisement

Advertisement