Space Heater Danger Highlighted In Stadium Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

COMSTOCK PARK, Mich. – While the fire at 5/3 Ballpark remains under investigation, firefighters tell FOX 17 they have a good idea as to what sparked the blaze.

“One of the workers or employees were in one of the suites with a small space heater which started a small fire and they thought they had the fire out,” said Plainfield Township Assistant Chief Steve Mckellar.

According to Chief Mckellar the fire was not completely out and eventually spread to the walls and attic triggering alarms.  He said it’s a good illustration of what can happen with these devices.

“They are only good for temporary use,” he said.  “They should be supervised at all time, never left alone.”

Chief Mckellar said overuse can lead to disaster if the equipment is not consistently checked and monitored.

“Always inspect the cord on them because of the amount of electricity they draw,” he said.  “The chords can get heated up and deteriorate so you want to inspect them regularly when you use them.”

Firefighters also want to encourage people to contact the proper authorities if there is any suspicion that a fire thought to be extinguished is not all the way out or if there is a possibility that it could flare up again.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s