Dave Agema releases statement on social media

WEST MICHIGAN – Republican National Committeeman Dave Agema released the following statement on social media Friday evening:

dave agema

Dave Agema

As an American proud of our Country, my faith and convictions, and the core values and principles that have contributed directly to our unrivaled international role as champions of freedom, prosperity and hope- I have made comments considered by some, to be insensitive, inflammatory, and inaccurate.

In retrospect, I acknowledge errors in judgment and how I addressed them, feel badly about the impact this has had on many here in the land I love, and have learned valuable lessons about the requirements and responsibilities that are to be expected and honored by all who are in leadership positions- including myself.

I openly posed a question aimed at shedding light on that subject.  I readily acknowledge my mistake, appreciate the charitable efforts of Muslim Americans, and offer my sincerest apology for reposting an article that has been re-quoted as my words. I stand with peaceful Muslims who share my concern with radicalism and look forward to continuing to work with people of all faiths that uphold American values.

As an American who has spent his entire life remaining faithful to his religion, his family, and his country, I have been unwilling to compromise my principles, traditional values or support for the Word of God.

My personal beliefs and public statements expressing them as a public figure, has been attacked by a few strident advocates for homosexual marriage seeking to change Republican, Michigan and America’s mores and laws. Despite our American heritage of the right to speak freely- or perhaps because of it, my personal views on the sanctity of marriage have led to loud and heated statements among some, on all sides of this issue. I could have handles this better.

I want to affirm that my goal is for a better life for all residents of Michigan. I have learned much over the last several weeks and will use the lessons learned to improve on my abilities to further the best interests of all people of Michigan, through my role as a proud member of the Republican National Committee. I have received great response at packed audiences, drawing voters to the GOP. I fully intend to honor the trust and fulfill the responsibilities to those in the Michigan Republican Party that elected me.

6 Comments to “Dave Agema releases statement on social media”

wolvie said:
    January 24, 2014 at 11:47 PM

oooh, i've been waiting patiently for the "spin doctor" himself to address the fact that his mouth has no credible sounds coming out anymore. however he sleeps is up to him and his favorite deity….

wolvie said:
    January 24, 2014 at 11:52 PM

"As an American who has spent his entire life remaining faithful to his religion, his family, and his country, I have been unwilling to compromise my principles, traditional values or support for the Word of ALLAH……..

wolvie said:
    January 25, 2014 at 12:02 AM

As an American who has spent his entire life remaining faithful to his religion, his family, and his country, I have been unwilling to compromise my principles, traditional values or support for the Word of………..Allah, errr, God.

the truly oppressed said:
    January 25, 2014 at 9:13 AM

"I have become increasingly frustrated and concerned by continuous attacks on religion in general, and Christians in particular, by the Democrat Party, the Obama Administration, and others." I couldn't agree more, Dave! Thank you!

Your Friend said:
    January 25, 2014 at 9:33 AM

If every politician would speak the truth in there heart, would we ask all of them for there resignation? We live in a world of tell them what they want to hear not what they should here. I personally think religion is the root of all evil and the cause of all wars and still I pray… homosexuality is wrong not because the people who are openly gay are bad people, but because nature says it's wrong… can you be a christian homosexual? Muslims that believe anyone is an infidel without even knowing them judging them solely on race or nationality is laughable at best and the Muslims that are militant wrong doers carrying the coran that contains orders to kill innocent children should be imprisoned and hung in towns square.

Scherzerfan said:
    January 25, 2014 at 10:33 AM

After reading all the arguements on this issue I still feel that although I don't understand homosexuality or Muslim beliefs, it dosn't matter as long as crimes against fellow man is not being committed, and I am left to my Christian beliefs/values. When a person takes office, it is up to them to understand we are a diversified country and their job is to govern for the good of law bidding citizens. A Koran or same-sex partner does not make a person bad. Good grief, just read their oath of office. That said, I think Mr. Agema was wrong and should fix it, whatever it takes.