The fire broke out Saturday evening in Grand Rapids. The homeowner told FOX 17 she received a call from a neighbor that their home was on fire. When they returned to the house, they were told their chocolate lab had passed away.
The Grand Rapids Fire Department said a contractor had worked on the home earlier in the day. The contractor used a blow torch to melt ice on the foundation. Investigators are trying to determine if that played a role in the fire.
The home is owned by WWMT News Channel 3 reporters.
The home sustained extensive damage.