Man Searches for Stranger Following U.S. 131 Crash

dorr crash

Friday, February 21, 2014

ALLEGAN COUNTY, Mich. (Feb. 26, 2014) — Thanks to car troubles, a West Michigan man was at the right place at the right time and helped a stranded, injured driver on the highway.

Now he wants to know how the woman is doing, but he doesn’t have much information to go on.

“Stars aligned for a reason, who knows?” said Nate Koehn.

Koehn’s pickup died along a stretch of US-131 in Allegan County late February 20.He and his friend were on their way to pick up the truck around 10 a.m. February 21, but didn’t make it much past the Dorr exit. “We could just see this pure wall of white,” said Koehn.

They slowed down and noticed several slide-offs. One of them was a car hung up on the cable barriers. “I walked up to the window and this girl was in there and kind of crying a little bit,” he explained. “She said her neck and head were hurting.”

carpic

Nate Koehn, Good Samaritan at Crash Scene

The car doors were all jammed and the windows broken. So, Koehn said, he did all he could really do at that time. “I walked to the passenger side, grabbed a hold of her hand and said ‘I’m not letting go until you get some help.’”

Other drivers also stopped and brought blankets to try to keep the woman warm. It took emergency crews about 45 minutes to get to them because of all the accidents along that stretch of highway that day.

Now, Koehn wants to know how the woman is doing. All he knows is that her name is Lauren, she’s from Cascade, and shewas driving to Three Rivers that day.

“I know she was in a lot of pain; it took a while to get her out.”

Koehn says he doesn’t think he did anything special that day, just helped out someone in distress.

Police tell us they responded to so many accidents Friday, February 21. Without an incident number, there will be no way to track down this particular accident.

14 Comments to “Man Searches for Stranger Following U.S. 131 Crash”

LionFan said:
    February 26, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Never trust a guy wearing a Green Bay Packers hat :P

PackerFan said:
      February 26, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Why, because he refuses to put himself through hell every football season by cheering for a team that has not, or ever will get to the Super Bowl??

tracyd112 said:
    February 26, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Why do people always need to say something stupid ?I mean all the guy wants to know how the lady is doing as much as I dont like green bay I would care a less what team hat he had on if he helped me.

Peter Amato said:
    February 26, 2014 at 9:57 PM

I was the first person on this accident and helped the girl calm down. Nate showed up 60 seconds later and we stayed till paramedics showed.

Peter Amato said:
    February 26, 2014 at 9:58 PM

I am the one who posted the picture of the car on the cables she was from caledonia.

Nate said:
    February 26, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Pete, glad you chimed in because I knew someone was right beside me but couldn't remember who. Where did Cascade come from then? Glad you got a picture of her car too. I had nothing. Yes, Pete was also one who was there with me at the accident scene who also played a huge role in all this.

Peter Amato said:
    February 26, 2014 at 11:27 PM

She was born in cascade but lived in caledonia. And was in the middle of moving. I this her last name was nyenhuise .

Peter Amato said:
    February 26, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Where did u find the picture.

nate said:
    February 26, 2014 at 11:46 PM

I didn’t find the picture. Fox 17 had it. Hey listen didn’t you give me a business card? I don’t have it. Email me at m1tanker_2004 @ yahoo.com for my contact info. I think you should be part of this too.

That girl said:
    February 27, 2014 at 12:22 AM

Oh my goodness. This is my only clear memory from the accident. I’ve gone all the way to asking my friends in the army where to find you. To thank you.

I work in cascade Mi. Was helping a grand opening for Aldi in three rivers. Live in kentwood as of one week.

That girl said:
      February 27, 2014 at 12:26 AM

I will contact fox17 tomorrow to end the search. I’m literally speechless. I have no words to describe my feelings of relief and happiness right now.

merspamer said:
        February 27, 2014 at 5:24 PM

We're glad that you saw this story! Please contact our newsroom at news@fox17online.com or call us at 616-364-1717. We would love to talk to you!

-Matt Erspamer, Web Producer at FOX 17

Nate said:
    March 1, 2014 at 9:46 AM

I would like to hear from you. My email address is in previous comments or you can contact Fox 17 and they have my contact information.

Thomas Rozema said:
    March 2, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Mr Troy R Vanderstelt needs to read ALL of these comments, especially from the crash victim. You, mister, have created quite a stir with your comments regarding Mr Nate Koehn and his actions on that day. I am a retired E7 from the MIARNG and know this prior Soldier well, you're assessment of this situation, and his actions are AWOL.