Hazmat Teams Clean 4,000 Pounds of Ammonia Leak after Roof Collapse
HUDSONVILLE, Mich. (March 8, 2014) – Hazmat teams worked to clean-up a 4000-pound ammonia leak after a roof collapse at Interstate Warehousing on the 2900 block of Highland Drive.
According to Ottawa County officials, the roof collapse happened at 2:59 A.M. Saturday and caused the ammonia to leak. Hudsonville City Manager Patrick Waterman said two tanks of ammonia outside of Interstate Warehousing feed into an internal piping system. Waterman said when the roof collapsed it broke the system’s valves, causing the ammonia to leak, but it was contained inside.
“There were relatively high levels but because of the conditions and because of the fact that the source was shut off, it was really just a matter of opening it up and letting it dissipate naturally,” said Waterman.
As a precaution, officials said local businesses along Corporate Grove were evacuated and some local residents were advised to stay inside their homes.
Interstate Warehousing released a statement saying the building was closed at the time of the roof collapse and there were no injuries. Interstate Warehousing is hiring a contractor to clean-up any leftover ammonia on the floors inside, but first crews opened the building to air-out the ammonia.
Ottawa County officials said Eastbound and Westbound I-196 between 44 Avenue and 32 Avenue were closed but have since re-opened.
“Public risk is minimal at this point. So all of the highways and local businesses on the roads have been opened back up,” said Waterman.
Several locals said they feel safe after seeing the surrounding communities handle the spill well.
“It would hit your lungs, I mean you wouldn’t be able to breathe and it’s dangerous; but I didn’t smell anything I wasn’t too worried,” said Jane Poortenga, a Jamestown resident.
Crews from Hudsonville Fire, Georgetown Fire and the Ottawa County HazMat Team were on scene working to clean-up this leak.