Cancer Surivor ‘Tea Party’ in Grand Rapids

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (March. 15, 2014) — It was a Grand Rapids tea party in pink, as west Michigan cancer survivors gathered to celebrate their lives with family and friends.

The Susan G. Komen For the Cure Tea Party Celebration was a chance for breast cancer survivors and supporters to gather to raise some funds for research and testing.

Organizers said that the biggest reason for the gathering is the chance to talk about breast cancer awareness.

It’s something that the executive director of Susan G. Komen West Michigan, Jennifer Jurgens, said wasn’t done 30 years ago.

“When a woman finds breast cancer early, before it leaves the breast, she has a 99 percent survival rate, so the more people who learn about it, who aren’t scared of finding it, that`s the trick right? We don`t want the breast cancer diagnosis, but the truth is if you find it early, you`re going to be fine, and we just need to get that word out, and tell everyone that will listen,” said Jurgens.

Jurgens said that 75 percent of the fundraising dollars stay in west Michigan to provide grants for women to get tested.  The other 25 percent goes toward finding a cure.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s