From Parades to 5K Runs: Memorial Day Weekend in West Michigan
Below is a list of parades and events folks can check out:
- 2014 Grand Rapids Spring Parade of Homes: 77 homes will be showcased from May 23-June 7. Homes are open for tours Memorial Day, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays from 1 p.m. – 9 p.m. and remodeled homes are open for tours on June 6-7 from 1 p.m. – 9 p.m. Get tickets online for $10, at any Option1 Credit Union for $10, or at any parade home for $12.
- Guitars for Vets Memorial Day Benefit: Takes place May 24 from 6 p.m. – 10 p.m. at the American Legion Post 47 on West River Drive in Comstock Park. Admission is $5 or a donated guitar. Items up for auction include a keyboard with the stand, some acoustic guitars, and an acoustic-electric guitar.
- Chocolate 5k: The race, on May 24, benefits Feeding America West Michigan. There will be chocolate stations (as well as water stations) set up along the three mile course featuring sweets from Ghirardelli and Choc-Ola. Takes place at Millennium Park on Maynard Avenue in Walker from 9 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Irish Show at Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park: Free event on May 24 from 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. and May 25 from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. The event features new and old irises grown by enthusiasts in West Michigan. Iris floral arrangements will be on display and visitors can vote on their favorite.
- Memorial Day Parade and Cannon Re-dedication: 10 a.m. parade on Main Street in Lowell as well as 10:45 a.m. re-dedication at Oakwood Cemetery’s Civil War Memorial Site for a refurbished Civil War cannon barrel that will be held by a new cast iron naval carriage.
- Muskegon Blessing of the Boats: This is an all day event that celebrates the opening of boating season. Events include the Lost Boat Ceremony at 11 a.m., the Parade of Boats at 1:15 p.m., and the Blessing of the Boats at 1:30 p.m.
- Fruitport Old Fashioned Days: Runs May 23 – 25. Features a carnival, fireworks, and a 5K and 10K race, as well as a veteran’s service and a parade.
VAN BUREN COUNTY:
- HCOG Camo Run/Walk: Takes place on May 24 at the Hartford Church of God on Heywood. Same day registration and packet pick up is at 8:30 a.m. The 10K run and walk starts at 9:30 and the 5K run and walk starts at 10 a.m. The Farmers Market will also be open at Ely Park before and after the event.