KENTWOOD, Mich. (May 28, 2014) – A mom had a terrifying moment when she passed out while her two small children played in her front yard Monday.
But her four-year-old saved the day by calling 911 all by herself.
Ashley Smith says she began losing consciousness ” due to lack of oxygen in my blood, and I just wasn’t getting enough oxygen in my brain, and I just passed out,” Smith said.
There was no one around to help when her daughter, Anyia, remembered a lesson from mom.
“I just got on the phone,” Anyia said.
Smith says she has an emergency button on her phone that she’s taught Anyia to push in the event of an emergency. Anyia talked to the 911 dispatcher, who told her to go get a neighbor. The neighbor took the phone from there.
Ashley was eventually diagnosed with pneumonia and laryngitis and told she’s very lucky Anyia called as quickly as she did, a lesson she says all parents need to teach their kids.
Aniya says she’s not done saving lives yet either. “I’ll be a dog fixer …. A doctor dog fixer,” Aniya said. Some call it a veterinarian.
“I wouldn’t be here today if it wasn’t for her. She’s my hero,” Smith said.
Experts say age four is when you should teach your children how to call 911 and when there’s an appropriate emergency to do so.