Donald Trump says he’s out of Thursday’s debate
MARSHALLTOWN, Iowa (AP) — When Fox News holds the final Republican presidential debate before the Iowa caucuses, Donald Trump won’t be there.
His campaign confirms the GOP front-runner has bowed out of Thursday night’s event. Earlier, Trump called Fox News moderator Megyn Kelly a “lightweight.”
The Republican candidates are set to square off in the Fox News debate Thursday night, their last debate before Monday’s Iowa caucuses.
Trump previously had said he may not show up. But campaign manager Corey Lewandowski said during a Tuesday evening news conference in Marshalltown, Iowa, that the GOP front-runner “will not be participating in the Fox News debate Thursday.”
Trump has criticized Fox News for “playing games” and for including anchor Megyn Kelly as a debate moderator. He says Kelly is a third-rate reporter who is bad at her job and shouldn’t be allowed to participate.
Fox News anchor and debate moderator Megyn Kelly says Donald Trump is used to getting his way but can’t control the media.
Kelly responded Tuesday evening on her Fox News show, “The Kelly File,” to Trump’s announcement that he will boycott Thursday night’s Republican debate hosted by Fox News amid an ongoing dispute with Kelly and the network.
Kelly said her network and chief executive Roger Ailes had made it clear to Trump for months that they wouldn’t change their moderator line-up to suit his preferences.
Kelly says she’ll be at the debate, which will “go on with or without Mr. Trump.”