Abbie Kopf returns home, won’t go back to school in the fall
KALAMAZOO, Mich. — The youngest survivor of February’s Kalamazoo mass shooting is back home, but a recent setback in her recovery mean she won’t be attending school in the fall.
On Saturday afternoon, the family of 14-year-old Abigail “Abbie” Kopf posted on their GoFundMe page that Kopf came home Thursday night from her latest stint in the hospital.
They also said: “She will not go back to school next year. She will be tutored at home.”
Kopf suffered a setback in her recovery that required more surgery to remove the plate from her skull, and that the plate would not be replaced for another 12 weeks, as FOX 17 reported last Monday.
Her family said she will return to wearing a helmet during that time.
Kopf survived a gunshot wound to the head in the Feb. 20 incident. She had been pronounced dead at the hospital. However, her mother says she put her head to the girl’s chest and heard a heartbeat. At that point she asked a nurse to check her again, and they found a pulse.
Uber driver Jason Dalton is charged with shooting six people to death at two separate locations that evening. Kopf and 25-year-old Tiana Carruthers both survived being shot and are recovering.
Dalton was captured later that night and faces 16 charges, including six counts of open murder.