Try making these healthy burger recipes with your kids.
Sweet Potato Quinoa Burgers
Yield 12 burgers
2 cups precooked brown lentils (about ¾ cup uncooked)
2 cups cooked quinoa (about ½ cup uncooked)
1 ½ cups mashed sweet potato
1 cup onion diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup carrot grated
1 cup spinach minced
1 ½ cups old fashioned oats
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
1 TBSP curry powder
1 TBSP ketchup
1 TBSP hot sauce (optional)
½ cup fresh cilantro chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a skillet add 1 tsp. olive oil heat pan over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic until onions are translucent about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper after 2 minutes of cooking. After mixture is cooked remove from pan and place in a large bowl and allow to cool.
2. Add the remaining ingredients to bowl with onion mixture. Combine well refrigerate mixture for 1-2 hours.
3. Form mixture into patties. Prepare grill for direct cooking. Coat a grill pan with non-stick cooking spray, place patties onto grill pan, over direct heat and grill for 5-10 minutes or until an internal temperature of 145°F is reached
California Turkey Burger with Guacamole Mayo
Yield 4 servings
2 Tbsp. grated white onion
1 medium Haas avocado, pitted and diced
2 Tbsp. non-fat plain Greek yogurt
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 Tbsp. minced, fresh cilantro
2 tsp. fresh lime juice
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 poblano peppers, seeded and minced
1 ½ lbs. ground turkey
1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
¼ tsp. kosher salt
4 whole grain hamburger buns
- Prepare grill for direct cooking, over medium high heat.
- In a small bowl, mix together the white onion, avocado, yogurt, tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice and garlic. Cover with plastic wrap, and place into the refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, combine turkey with the pablano peppers, salt and pepper. Form into 4 patties.
- Brush grill grates with canola oil
- Place burgers onto grill and cook over direct heat, about 4-5 minutes per side, or until burgers reach and internal temperature of 165°F. during the last minute of cooking, place hamburger buns on grill, cut side down, to toast.
- Remove burgers from grill and serve with guacamole mayo.