GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. -- James Mellick's Wounded Warrior Dogs wins the Public Vote and Stacey Kirby's The Bureau of Personal Belonging wins the Juried Grand Prize at ArtPrize Eight, ArtPrize announced Friday.
The Grand Prize winners each receive $200,000. Mellick's wooden dog sculptures can be found at the Amway Grand Plaza and Kirby's time-based entry is at 50 Monroe NW.
Public and Juri
ed winners were also selected for four category awards. Winners in these categories receive $12,500, except for Mellick. ArtPrize officials say artists who win both category and Grand Prize awards get the greater of the two prizes.
- Public Vote: Portraits of Light and Shadow by Joa Paulo Goncalves (DeVos Place)
- Juried: les bêtes by Isaac Aoki (City of Grand Rapids Water Building)
- Public Vote: Wounded Warrior Dogs by James Mellick (Amway Grand Plaza)
- Juried: Excavations by William Lamson (SiTE:LAB)
- Public Vote: Sweeper's Clock by Maarten Baas (Grand Rapids Art Museum)
- Juried: Search Engine Vision "ISIS" by Eric Souther (Urban Institute for Contemporary Arts)
- Public Vote: The Butterfly Effect by Pettit Smith (DeVos Place)
- Juried: This Space is Not Abandoned by 912 CollABORATIVE (912 Grandville Ave.)
The Outstanding Venue Juried Awar
d was split for the first time this year, according to a release. The winners were EVERYTHING IS TRANSFORMED at SiTE:LAB and This Space is Not Abandoned at 912 Grandville Ave.